Black Space Technology was formed in 2018 and specialises in scalable and future-proofed mobile telemedicine and telehealth solutions. It is software focused; hardware agnostic and all of its solutions are configurable to local service needs including language localisation. All of its products have full medical accreditation, GDPR compliance and are achieving certification in ISO13485. The company is readying for certification in ISO9001, ISO27001, Cyber Essentials, MHRA Class 1 CE, RTCO air accreditation and Inmarsat approval. The development team have previously created, developed and implemented the most successful NHS Ambulance EPR deployment into 1,000 NHS Ambulances handling over 30,000 cases per week and it’s Android home telehealth solutions have been used by over 10,000 elderly patients (average 75 years) reducing emergency admission. The solutions are currently used internationally by NGOs and military units deployed on land, sea and air.
Black Space Technology was born out of the Research & Development department of one of the UK’s leading NHS Trusts and a leading telehealth and telemedicine company. Our development team have been at the forefront of deploying mobile technology to improve patient care at scale in the NHS since 2005.
The team have designed, developed, implemented, trained and supported medical focused software solutions in the military and civilian prehospital space both in the UK and internationally.
As an agile, clinically founded technology and service business the team create Android solutions using the following key skills and embedded principles:
- Familiar, easy to use hardware platform: we seek the most appropriate hardware to meet end–user requirements with a focus on touchscreen ruggedised tablets and phones that are easy to use.
- Extensive experience in the integration of Bluetooth and USB monitoring devices into Android, Windows and iOS mobile platforms. The development team have integrated over twenty 3rd party wireless monitoring devices.
- Communication technology using 802.11, GPRS, 3G, 4G, satellite and tactical radios for real time data and video conferencing transmission including data packet prioritisation.
- Open and accessible solutions: web based services allow access to incident and patient data on any platform with internet access and all solutions have optional language localisation.
- Customisation: our software is architected in a way that enables us to not only facilitate high levels of configuration and customisation, but to also evolve its capabilities in a way that ‘future proofs’ the platform. We look to leverage technology to enable new and more effective military and civilian pre-hospital care pathways that can easily adapt and grow to meet the changing needs of developing clinical services, and that can be delivered seamlessly to receiving hospitals and control centres.
- Clinical foundation: as a clinically founded and driven business, putting the patient and healthcare profession at the centre of what we create is fundamental. Being able to work closely with the purchasers, clinical and administrative staff, along with patients will allow us to work closely to ensure the system and service provided meets everyone’s expectations.
- Service redesign: Our solutions enable safer, more efficient pre-hospital care. We have worked closely with civilian and military paramedics and hospital professionals to design more efficient operational and clinical pathways, and create solutions that enable more effective pre-hospital care.
- Fast and easy deployment: Our solutions are fast and easy to deploy using existing communication systems to allow in field updates via embedded remote access software. We adopt an iterative ‘crawl, walk, run’ principle to implementation to avoid ‘big bang’ failures so often seen in the public sector.
- The software has been designed and developed by leading edge software engineers with a proven track record in mobile and database software development and implementation. All software has been developed to strict ISO13485-compatible processes.
- Patent No. GB2401205 – Portable device for classification of medical data (granted 13 February 2007)
- Patent No. GB2434458 – Medical monitoring apparatus (granted 15 February 2011)
- Patent No. GB2493458 – Portable device for the monitoring of medical conditions (22 March 2016)